Thursday, September 22, 2011

Momo by Michael Ende




Momo is one of my favorite books of all time. In general, I love Michael Ende…if you ever have the time I highly recommend reading both Momo and the Never-ending Story. But let’s just talk about Momo for now. She is a “lost girl” that just appears in the city. However she has a special power…she listens! She actually listens to people in a way that they can pour their hearts out and talk and talk; find their own ideas, resolve disputes, whatever.  Then something happens…the grey men come to town. Who are they? They are exactly that, head to toe grey people, dress in grey, with grey cigars…what do they want? Your time…as in they literally want you to give them your free time, so they convince you to “save” your money, instead of taking your time, enjoying what you do…do it in a hurry and that way you will be able to have tons of time later in your life…Ok this time I am really not giving away any of the exciting things of the book.  But I would like to tell you what captivates me the most of these 2 books. In both of them Ende touches the subject of how when you grow up you stop daydreaming and taking your time. Both, at least for me, underline the importance of the inner child, of letting go of stressful situations, of feeling the grass under your feet, of dreaming with impossible worlds in which anything is actually possible. I forget really often what it feels to be a kid. One of my “kid” moments is when I get to wear heels.  Don’t laugh…when I wear heels and I hear the sound of my feet against the floor I remember when I was a little girl and would here the “grown-ups” clacking their way in the street. The first time I heard that sound coming from my feet,  a ping of excitement crawled inside of me and since then, every time I hear it I can’t help but smile and feel like I’m 7 again…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment