Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel



Finally I got my hands on the 5th book of this saga. I loved the book, if you have it do not feel intimidated by its size. Just as Harry Potter the books grew bigger and bigger, but so does the story. 

We join Ayla and Jondalar at the end of their journey, the finally arrive to the Zelandonii territory and Ayla is carrying Jondalar’s baby.  I will mention before the only thing I did not like, but that is not the authors fault. You see this book came 12 years after the fourth, so Auel spent a lot of time reminding the readers about characters or events that happened in the past, which I am sure is going to happen again in the 6th book (already have it by my side, I am so eager to read it!!), but since I read them one after the other, I found this a little bit annoying. Again, not her fault, for the people who grew up with the series I am sure was more than appreciated. 

Now the things I loved. One thing I applaud from the author is her dedication, her actual going and visiting the areas where her characters live, to get to talk with paleontologists, to verify the plausibility of the things she describes.  I also like the way she presents racism in the book, between the Neanderthals and the Cro-Magnons. The social dynamics she describes are so vivid, that even though in my head people are leaving in caves all the feelings, the deceptions, the social preasure, all of that falls in my heart. A new character that I want to see how it evolves (no pun intended) in the next book was Brukevar, a really conflicted person with much to learn from himself. One of those that deep down hates everyone because at the end the hates himself.  I wished the story of Jolaya and Echozar would’ve been more developed, but I’m crossing my fingers that they will be back for the 6th book. 

I liked the fact that in this book Jolandar is not the raving jealousy machine that he was on The Mammoth Hunters, and I liked the way Ayla embraces a new identity without forgetting her own. Being a foreign where I live I kind of understand the happiness she feels when she gets to be part of both worlds without losing her past and what makes her so special.  I will be honest with you, I am not in love with the name she chooses for the baby, but oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment