Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


Book summary (by Goodreads.com)

J.R.R. Tolkien's classic prelude to his Lord of the Rings trilogy featuring cover art by the author. Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum. Written for J.R.R. Tolkien's own children, The Hobbit has sold many millions of copies worldwide and established itself as a modern classic.

Book review

I decided to re read this book since the movie is coming out this year. I am a fan of Tolkien, what can I say. I know that The Silmarillion is a hard read, because it has so many characters, but the stories are so beautiful!.
In the case of The Hobbit, I wish I had a kid to read the book as a night time story. It has everything…well, except for romance I suppose. Bilbo Baggins is a sweet character that, through experience, learns his own value and learns how to make others see it. That right there is a lesson I want my kid to learn as soon as possible. Also, team work, not to be afraid of adventure, and to always, always expect to be amazed by things unknown.

The story starts with Bilbo in his house, expecting nothing else but a quiet afternoon. But after he has a visit from Gandalf, all that will change. Contrary to what some people seem to believe (people that apparently didn’t take the time to actually read the book, or at least summary of it) the book is not about Bilbo finding the ring. If anything, this is an accident in the book, and as you consider that this book was written way before LOTR, you will see that the ring in The Hobbit has an important but not a main role. The whole propose of the voyage that Bilbo and his newly acquired dwarf friends undergo, is to recover a treasure long ago stolen by a dragon. Through the quest, they will meet with evil goblins, kind and not so kind elves and off course men. 

I think what makes his book an easy first touch to the Tolkien mythology is that it explains the big traits of each race briefly but still leaves room for you to want to learn more (then you go to the Silmarillion or LOTR)
About the movie, I can’t say I am surprised but it will be a 2 part movie with the first installment coming out at the end of 2012. I think the casting is right on the spot and I will be there to see it…not the first day, I am not a “camp out of the theater to be the first one to see it” kind of person, but I will be there! In the mean time, here is one of the trailers.




7 comments:

  1. hello Carolina.
    I am an avid LOTR fan (the books, not the movies) So it is really stupid of me to not have read The Hobbit. This reminds me to put it on my TBR list immediately.
    First time on your blog, and I totally loved it. You have awesome tastes in books. Looking forward to reading more amazing reviews from you. Following you now!
    Please visit my book blog at https://riversihaveknown.wordpress.com/
    It's quite new, but it's growing. If you like the blog, please follow! looking forward to having a total book lover like you as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Tolkien fan, too, and I've read through The Silmarillion a couple of times at least. It is lovely. And I read The Hobbit to my ten year old a few months ago, which was a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems so nice Sherry! that's exactly what I hope to do one day!

      Delete
  3. It's been years since I read the Hobbit. Thanks for your lovely review, reminding me to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I hope you love the book even more this time, just like I did :)

      Delete
  4. I read this when I was young but remember very little of it. We're re-reading it now as a family and so far it's very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like a lot of fun! I hope you guys have a wonderful time with the book!

      Delete