Monday, April 16, 2012

What are your dirty little secrets?


This is a post in response to The Book Lady's last Post. I realized that the list might be too long to just go in the comment section. I will however limit myself to 5.

  1. I don’t like Gabriel García Marquez that much.  So sue me. You see, all through school we were forced to read his books, because, you know: He is the only Colombian Nobel Price, and blah, blah. Except for 100 years of Solitude, I didn’t like his books that much. Granted he has a unique style, I think there are several good books amongst his work, and I appreciate the “magic realism” in his books, but he is just not for me.
  2. I rarely finished the books forced on me at school. I passed every single test, which makes me wonder how come people actually failed them. But I have problems finishing something I was forced to read; somehow it kills all the joy I usually find on books. Maybe that explains point 1.
  3. I cannot, for the life of me, watch a movie based on a book, and avoid saying (at least once): That’s not how it was on the book. I’ve tried, I’ve really tried, but even under my breath, there will be THAT moment. There are really good adaptations out there and I realize you cannot put EVERYTHING that happens in the book in the movie…but even then, I can’t help but say it…sorry.
  4. I have a collection of what I call “sherbet” books. You know sherbet or sorbet, as in the light frozen dessert. See, in multiple course meals the point of having a scoop of sherbet between entrées and main dishes and even the dessert itself is to clean the palate. The flavor won’t be overwhelming, but you will probably enjoy it and it will allow you to enjoy the next big flavor. So yeah, after a big book, sometimes I like to “have a sherbet book” (Confessions of a Shopaholic, The Southern Vampire Mysteries or even Hunger Games, short and sweet). I would say is a guilty pleasure if it wasn’t because I do not feel guilty at all. Which reminds me, I’m a couple of books behind on the SVM series…I guess it will have to wait until the Early Reviewers books. 
  5. On that topic, I read the whole Twilight series. Ok, so maybe that is not a secret if you visit my GoodReads page. But even today if I try to explain the story of the books I feel funny. I will be the first to admit it wasn’t a life changing life, and girls should not take their ideas of “ideal” relationship from this book. But hey, it was fun to read, to discuss with my friends and Grandma (she read it to understand what the fuss was all about).

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm totally with you on number 3. I can't help it either. I know they can't fit everything from a book into a movie, but it drives me crazy when they change parts that didn't even need to be changed. (I'm not going to get into my movie rant, though, haha.)

    I can't believe your grandma read the Twilight series! That is seriously cool of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the term "sherbet books," and I completely understand the need for them on occasion. I could not, however, get into the Twilight series. Have you read The Host by Stephenie Meyer? It was much more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks for your comment. No, I haven't read The Host, my best friend has it and I've been meaning to borrow it, but I keep forgetting! Have a nice rest of the week :)

      Delete