Friday, March 22, 2013

Sharp Object by Gillian Flynn





What's the book about?

Camille Preaker is a journalist living in Chicago. When a second girl is murder in her hometown, Wind Gap Missouri, her editor prompts her to go back to cover the story thinking this might be a big break for the paper. Camille isn't really looking forward it. A bad relationship with her mother, a bunch of memories that she has spent a lifetime trying to forget and a town to small to let her completely succeed at it. While trying to unveil the mystery a lot of the pain she left behind comes back to haunt her.  

What was the thing I liked the most? 

I love a good thriller. I just love it. It's been almost 6 months since I read The Ice princess which I loved and this one hit right on the same spot.  The characters built up smoothly but intriguingly enough to keep me interested. I have to tell you at a certain point I was sure I would give a 4 for this book and then it had a twist I did not see coming, which is way it gained its final star. 

What about the main character?

Camille is not a hero that is for sure. She is the protagonist but she is broken in so many pieces is impossible to count. Funny enough she is stable enough to guide us through the story. She can talk about herself and her past as if she was talking about someone else, with such detachment that I needed her to say that she was talking about herself before I realized it was the case. She has the worst relationship with her mother you can imagine and its from this ill relationship that all her issues come from. 

The 10% moment

Camille has left Chicago and although she could’ve arrived immediately to Wind Gap she stays in a motel to get “ one more night”  before facing her mother. The next day, she even does an interview before going to her mother’s place. Then and only then she will notify her mother that she is planning to stay with them. It is pretty obvious that they are not in the best terms possible. Some clues as to what the abductions of the girls were like are given, but a sense of mystery hangs in the air. 

Final thoughts

Wow, just wow. I had 50 pages to go and I realized it was midnight between Sunday and Monday. I knew I had to go to sleep but I just couldn't help myself I wanted to know what happened at the end. At the same time I was afraid of continuing because I kept telling myself this cannot get more twisted right, and then off course it did. I confirmed it was a good book when the next day the first thing that came into my head was the book. Everyone is full of issues in the book, but you keep saying it can't be that bad...oh but it is!. It was a great debut novel if you ask me, and I'm already in queue for the author's second book Dark Places 



No comments:

Post a Comment