Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline




What's the book about?

Wade is a teenager leaving in the year 2044. He leaves with his aunt that only took him because she could have access to extra food by taking an extra mouth. He is orphan, poor and overweight. The only moment when he feels sort of happy is being at the OASIS, a virtual world, a MMORPG that has taken unprecedented fame, particularly after his creator, James Halliday died giving the world a simple message: whoever's finds and solves a series of puzzles hidden in the game itself will find "a golden ticket", an egg that will grant him or her with the ownership of his former fortune and the company he founded years ago. Unlikely here, Wade is the first person to find the first of the puzzles and this will change his life in ways he never expected, beyond the prize, beyond the virtual realm.

What was the thing I liked the most? 

The book is full of 80s references and is a gamers dream...well I think so being a gamer (albeit not hardcore like Wade himself) myself. It was a well written piece, with superb rhythm and nice character building. 

What about the main character?

Wade, as I mentioned starts as a very average teenager who's been out of luck for a while. As any teenager he has this moment of feeling completely invincible and off course that's when things turn bad for him. But at the same time, he is a loyal character, he learns from his mistakes, more than I expected him to. He is likable, but not adorable; he has blunt flaws but he manages to overcome them for enough time so he can make it up to his friends. 

Final thoughts

I really, really liked this book. Not only the references, but the interaction between characters. I particularly like the twist with H (no spoilers, promise). I liked it so much that I pretty much made my boyfriend read it too so we could discuss it together, and he devoured it. I've read some posts wondering about a sequel, which I think are plausible with some of the things that were mentioned at the end of the book, but the novel stands pretty nicely as an alone piece. Funny enough is the type of book that I would rather not be made into a movie; for I would be afraid it would miss all the subtext that I got from the book itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment