Friday, June 21, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn





Why did I read this book?

This is the last book from Gillian Flynn. I really enjoyed her other 2 books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places, and I heard great things about this last book, so I was very excited to finally read it.

What's the book about?

The book is the story of a marriage...not a happy marriage mind you. The story is told in 2 voices, that of Amy, the wife and that of Nick the husband. Amy has disappeared and all the clues seem to point to a murder and what is more, Nick gets more and more incriminated as we advance in the book, although he will insist on his innocence. We learn about their relationship and the story behind Amy's weird disappearance. 

What was the thing I liked the most? 

If you haven't grown to like Flynn's books don't come near this book. This is the epitome of unlikeable characters, twisted relationships and f*&^%$ up psyches. Interestingly enough that's what I enjoyed the most, the characters. I know I just said they are not likeable but the way they are written keeps pushing you to want to know more about them even though you grow disgusted of their behaviour.

What about the main character?

There are 2 main characters as I mentioned, Amy, a very smart woman, single child...a bit used on getting her way. On the other hand we have Nick, a twin, but the younger one and hence, he is used for people to run for him (this is the book talking, not me). They met in New York, both of them writers, both of them smart. But faith had it that Nick's mom fell sick and he had to go back to his hometown in Missouri. This scenario change will make things harder on their already not so perfect marriage. But as we dig deeper and deeper in their relationship we find more and more eery things about this "picture perfect" couple.

Final thoughts

It was very hard to write this review without giving away the punch. But look, there is always a thing that comes to my head when I finish Flynn's book: I don't know what exactly happened in her life to make her able to write such characters...but I do NOT want to know.  Flynn somehow manages to build this very sick, very damaged characters, everyone more broken than the other, and yet...and yet you want more of them. You don't want to change them; you just want to know more about them. You certainly hope not to find anyone during your life remotely similar to them, but man are they involving when you read them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment