Sunday, July 7, 2013

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain



Why I read this book?

I first heard about this book through Bookriot and well...as an introvert myself I just wanted to see what Cain had to say about being one. When it finally became available at my local library it was just perfect.

What's the book about?

The book, as you may have guessed, talks about what it is to be an introvert; however it is not  book to "overcome" being introvert, is mostly directed to realizing the strengths as well as weakness having this character trait has. It also explores differences to a cultural level, and the last chapter is dedicated to raising and introvert 

What was the thing I liked the most? 

I liked how I could see myself reflected so much in the book, without feeling bad for it. You know how it can be painted as a negative trait, being quiet. The book shows different environments where you could find it hard to be a "more to yourself" person and how different people deal differently with their own limits.

Final thoughts

I really like this book. It made me appreciate more my extrovert friends, boyfriend (we both thought he was an introvert, turns out he is just a relatively calm person) and family members. It also made more grateful for the career choice I made, it's always nice to find more reasons to love what you do. It's not a book full of exercises to be more outgoing; is the story of different people that react to situations in a similar way that I do.

Although the book did not change the way I behave (at least not so far) it has made me more conscious of facial or body expressions I've grown used to having and how they might be taken by others. There were a lot of interesting "fun data" all over the book, like did you know that most introverts function well without sleep (this is not the case with me, but is not a black or white thing, you know), or that Introverts usually have a more sensitive nervous system than extroverts

Another thing I liked is that it doesn't say that being a extrovert is a bad thing either, mainly that we should appreciate the strengths of both and create working/studying environments that are more inviting for dual activity. 

The audio book is read by Kathe Mazur, and her voice is very appropriate for the type of book Quiet is.


No comments:

Post a Comment