Thursday, July 18, 2013

Redshirts by John Scalzi



Why I read this book?

This was the official alternative pick for the Sword and Laser Bookclub for the month of July. As it turns out, I finished it before the main pick!

What's the book about?

The story follows several new recruits from the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, including Andrew Dahl. The Intrepid is known for having an exceptional amount of missions full of knowledge acquired, adventure...but also a lot of casualties, usually for the new recruits! But are this casualties inevitable? Or is there something more making them happen?

What was the thing I liked the most? 

This is the second novel I've read from Scalzi, and I loved Old Man's War. This book is very different yet as fast passed (in my opinion) as the other one. The story is quiet different too, but is very entertaining. But the part I liked the most (no spoilers) was the codas at the end.

What about the main character?

If I have to choose a main character it would be Andrew Dahl, although that would be appropriate just for the first part of the book (again, no spoilers). Once again a smart character by Scalzi. He came to the story seemingly for different reasons than adventure, yet he doesn't fear it. When the situation arises, he will be the one planning the way out...sort of. 

Final thoughts

I enjoyed this book a lot. I will admit that the first part was a bit predictable, and up to the first Coda I was planning on just giving it a 4, since it was entertaining but it wasn't giving me much more. Then the Codas happened and I was head over heels for the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment