Monday, August 19, 2013

Metatropolis by Jay Lake, Tobias Buckell, Elizabeth Bear, John Scalzi and Karl Schroeder




Why I read this book?

This was a gift from Audible. There were a couple of options but since I already knew Scalzi and liked him quite a bit I decided to go for it.

What's the book about?

This book is actually a collection of 5 different novellas that happen to share a common universe. A dystopian United States that has suffered the excesses of our times and now struggles to survive. Cities have emerged or evolved in such environment and the people in them have to adapt to new types of societies

Which was my favorite novella?

My favorite novella was by far the third one: The Red in the sky is our Blood by Elisabeth Bear. I really enjoyed the reader Kandyse  McClure. Contrary to what I felt with the previous two novellas, this one wasn't so much "the world is destroyed" in your face as the other, albeit it does mention several situation that have developed from the previous living ways. It talks about trust and being able to adapt. Second favorite would be Scalzi's Utere Nihil Non Extra Quiritationem Suis. As always Scalzi manages to bring a funny side to this writing while giving a nice story.

Final thoughts

Thank goodness for the 3rd and 4th novellas. I wasn't that much into the other three...well, that's not true, I liked the premise of all of the novellas, but the delivery of the first 2 and the last one didn't cut it for me. I think my problem was mostly with the narrators. Sotchasti-city was particularly monotone in tone, so sometimes I wouldn't realize the characters had changed, similar problem with To Hie from Cilenia, but Stefan Rudnicki's voice carried more than Scott Brick. 

In general I liked the idea of very different lives converging in a common universe, while being told with such different voices, but I was expecting more, which is why I gave this book a 3.5.


No comments:

Post a Comment