Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Curse of Chalion by Louis McMaster Bujold






Why I read this book?

This was the September pick for The Sword and Laser Book Club.

 What's the book about?

The Curse of Chalion is part of the Chalion series and in this book we are introduced to Cazaril, a "knight" that has been stripped of rank, sold to the merchants and that feels like he has lost everything he once was. Coming back to the reign, he enters the service of the House of Chalion and is in charge of Royesse Iselle. Soon enough Cazaril will learn that this task demands more of his body and soul that he ever could've imagine

What about the main character?

Considering Cazaril is the main character, I will say he is a noble man, devoted to his cause. Very smart and yet sometimes naïve. 

However, let me tell you that Iselle was my favorite character by far. I love a good female character, and Bujold did not disappoint me in this case. She is not only strong phisically, but she is smart and proud to be. Take this quote for example:

          Ignorance is not stupidity, but it might as well be. And I do not like feeling stupid

In a world highly dominated by men as Chalion felt, it was very nice to see this young woman prevail and take care of herself.

Final thoughts

This is the first book that I've ever read from Louis McMaster Bujold, but I doubt it will be the last. The world construction was amazing, adding bits of magic without it being overwhelming. I particularly enjoyed the female characters, Beatriz, the Provincara and as I mentioned before, Iselle. I liked how the intrigue built slowly, enticing, while showing was the world of Chalion. 

I particularly liked the religion construction, with all the set of beliefs it involved, very well structured, without being unnecessarily complicated as some books feel to me when they go to polytheism. I am very glad the book club showed me this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment