Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


 
Don't Panic
 
Why I read this book?

I've watched the movie 2005 before, but I've never gotten around to the book or the show itself. My boyfriend had it and we decided to listen to it while driving to work. I should probably clarify that we listened to the radio play version.

What's the book about?


The Earth has been destroyed! It was on the way a intergalactic overpass, and no one complained so they went ahead and destroyed it. Luckily for Arthur Trent, his friend Ford Perfect turns out to be a writer for the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and saves him just in time. With him they will meet the Galactic president, dine at the end of the universe and learn the ultimate answer for life and everything else: 42.

What about the main character?

The main character, Arthur Dent, is quite amusing. Half of the story is spend by him in denial, as in, how can this be happening to me? This is just not possible. But in general, he is a bit clumsy and since until very recently he was unaware of the existence of other communities in the universe, outside Earth he sometimes makes situations even worse out of ignorance.

Final thoughts

I had a great time listening to this book. Not only the characters were entertaining, but also the situations. The whole story is so whimsical that you don't feel time passing by, so I think it was a perfect match for listening while driving. A lot of sarcastic jokes (my type) a lot of smart writing and character building. My favorite character is Marvin the Paranoid Android. He is delightful even though he is supposed to be ways depressed. I'm not sure how different this version is compared to the actual book, but I would highly recommend it. There is off course the fact that this version finishes in a cliff-hanger to invite you to continue with the play, something that we will probably do soon enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment