Monday, January 27, 2014

The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R Delany




Every life is a rhythm [...] Every death is a suspended rhythm, a syncope before restarting the life.

Why I read this book?

This was the January Book Club choice from Sword & Laser. Also I've known the name Delany for a long time, but I had never actually read a book from the author so this gave the opportunity to get to know the author. 

What's the book about?

The book tells us the story of Lo Lobey, an alien (?) individual from a race with 3 genders and also divided into functional or non-functional (or different). This race has arrived to Earth, after humanity has (I think) left it and as they try to accommodate themselves in the new planet they try also to absorb the mythology present on Earth by collecting and mixing pieces of history and pop culture, including references to Greek culture and rock and roll. 

First impressions

At first I was having a lot of trouble to follow the story partially because it was hard to follow the characters. As the story advances it gets a bit easier to recognize who is who, but several time I would have to go back on my reading to verify what was actually going on.

Final thoughts

So, here is the thing. I liked the critic about how society might treat a person that initially is consider as different. I enjoyed the use of a third genre. I even had a good time discovering some of the cultural references…but at the end of the book I am not sure I go the book. There were a lot of lost threads which made feel lost in the story. I did not understand the point of some of the chapter cuts or the choice of quotes for that matter. I think I see where the author was going for and why it was so acclaimed at the time. However I think this was just not for me.

There is in this world an infinite number of true things that are impossible to prove as truthful.


No comments:

Post a Comment