Friday, February 28, 2014

The Cricket on the Heart by Charles Dickens



Why I read this book


For Christmas Audible gave a free book that turned out to be this classic from Dickens.

What the book is about


The book opens introducing John Peerybingle (I had to look the spelling of that one up!) and his wife Dot. Through them we meet the other characters, a lovely woman, engaged to a horrible man that is believed to be charming to the eyes of a blind girl. I know it sounds like a lot of deceive, and there is such, but it sounds less so when written by Dickens

First impressions

Did you know that A Christmas Carol was part of a "collection" of Christmas books? Well I didn't. Turns out that The Cricket is the third book in a series of stories set during the Holidays that Dickens wrote, it just so happens that it was A Christmas Carol that got to be so renowned. This is what poked my curiosity for this story and what kept me going, even though at the beginning it was hard to get into the story.

Final thoughts

It was a good story, but it didn't move as Christmas Carol did. There is a bit of humor here and there, but I don't know if it was because of the language or because of the setting, it just wasn't a fun read for me. Maybe I should've listen to it, near a fire during the Christmas Holidays. I do think however that the comparison of the cricket to the "soul" of the house, feeling the happiness or sorrow of the home owners was a sweet way to give live to the environment.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment