Friday, March 21, 2014

Once Upon a Time VIII



Well, in theory, spring has arrived. I say in theory because up here in Canada it snowed today, is -3 degrees outside (not accounting for the wind chill mind you) and the sky is as gray as ever. But not all is bad news. Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting a new "challenge" and yours truly is participating for the very first time :). AS you know I've already participated in the Readers Imbibing Peril challenge twice now, but I've never had the opportunity (actually I never remembered) to register for this one. The premise is simple enough: from March 21st up until June 21st you read and share your thoughts about books that fall into the broad categories of Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology (including subgenres off course). There are several "levels" of entry and this time I've decided to go with: 

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time categories. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

My lineup is as follows:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rishdie

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M Valente

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Berdugo

Now, for me they all fall in the Fantasy category, but some of them have elements of Mythology and Folklore, so I think it should be ok. I am not counting the 2 possible "Sword" books from Sword & Laser that I will (probably) read during spring, simply because I figure I would've read those anyway. I will however post my reviews about them, to keep the data base growing.

As always I will update the links to the reviews in this post as I make them available.

Are you exited? I am

No comments:

Post a Comment