Thursday, April 24, 2014

Angelmaker by Nick Harkway





We can land in the moon […] but we cannot be good, we are wicked. This is a wicked world
Why I read this book
 
All through 2012 and 2013 I read bloggers praises for this book, however I kept forgetting to get myself a copy. Luckily for me the Audible Algorithm showed to me last time I had an available credit and then I was a click away from a wonderful book.

What the book is about

It's hard to put into simple terms what this book is about. I could tell you it's about the end of the world and I wouldn't be lying, but then again is also about love and spies and the underworld of crime. I can tell you it is about a guy coming into terms with whom he really is...and all of these would be true and appropriate, but is not enough to describe what this wonder is about.

First impressions

This book reminded me at first of The Goldfinch, with the delectable descriptions of art work and the rhythm of the story. It was much funnier though and the after a while it got to considerably faster pace. Granted I was listening to it at a 1.25x speed, but what I mean is that little by little the book turned out to be packed with action and hilarious characters that made the whole experience absolutely magnificent.

Final thoughts

Harkaway took what could've been just a crazy story and made it one of the best books I've read that also made me laugh. A lot of the effect has to be awarded to Daniel Weyman, an incredible narrator.

The book is narrated in present tense and in the third person which made me feel like I was watching a movie. This is a good thing for me, since I'm still getting used to building my imagery based on audio. Too many years relying on paper I suppose ;).

What made me love this book so much were, besides the story itself, the women in it. Women of substance, to quote the author, is what made this book unforgettable for me. Most of all: Polly Cradle, Frankie and off course Edie Banister. They are strong, determined, funny...and this is me controlling my major girl crush on them.

At a certain point of the book I was listening to it on speaker in bed, since sadly my headphones weren't working. A sex scene came up and then I got a weird look from my boyfriend...because I was laughing like crazy. It had to be one of the funniest, most witty written sex scene I've read in a loooooong time. This wittiness applies to the whole book.

I would (and I have) recommended this one to everyone I could. I've found ways to drop the book in a conversation that might sound force, but they will thank me when they read the book.
 
The trouble with shooting people [...] is that is hard to do just one



No comments:

Post a Comment