Thursday, May 15, 2014

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie



The real world was full of magic, so magical worlds could easily be real

Why I read this book

One of the biggest heartbreaks I’ve ever had, book wise, was when I had to leave behind my copy of this book, years ago. It was even worst, because although I loved the story, I read it when I was very young and I couldn’t for the life of me remember the exact name of the book, so it took me more than 15 years to finally find it again.  So actually, this was a re-read. It took me, once again, back into my child years. 

What the book is about

Haroun is a young boy whose father tells the most amazing stories (known as the Shah of Blah). On a very dreadful day, Haroun’s mother leaves and her departure brings the end of the stories. Haroun will discover Kahani, the second moon, house of the Sea of Stories and the source of his father’s best tales.

First impressions

Re reading this book I noticed a lot of clever play on words that I didn’t notice as a child since some of them are based on French or even some in English, that back then I didn’t understand. However the feeling of wonder and amazing use of fantasy and myth items made my tear up more than once.

Final thoughts
It is very hard for me to read comments from the people who didn’t like this books, since it has such an emotional charge for me. However, as always, I know that is not necessarily for everyone. 

The book is mainly directed to a younger public, but I honestly believe that it can be enjoyed at any age. As Momo does, one of the books that I love the most, this book presents the “problem” of letting go of our childhood stories, of totaling becoming an adult by letting go wonderment.

I will admit that I haven’t read anything else by Rushdie, so I have no ground to compare this to his previous work. However, I can tell you that the construction of the world found in Kahani is beautiful. My favorite character is by far Blabbermouth and the rebellious personality that goes with her. 

It is not a fast paced book and although it has a bit of adventure it is not the main component. The main component, for me at least, is the power that you can get from stories. From the army being called a library, to the Sea itself, mixing and giving us every single tale that made us dream awake .A good story can make any situation better :)
 
One minute you’ve got a lucky star watching over you and the next instant it’s done a bunk


No comments:

Post a Comment