Friday, May 16, 2014

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier



Time ain’t nothing, but time. It’s a verse with no rhyme, And it all come down to you

Why I read this book

During an Audible sale I acquired the firt book in this series, Ruby Red. I was pleasantly surprised with the story and hence I decided to continue with the trilogy.

What the book is about

After we left Gwen and Gideon in the last book learning to deal with each other and, in her case, learning about time travelling and its perils, Sapphire Blue opens with a bit more information about Paul and Lucy. While trying to learn more about the cronograph, learn the steps for dancing the minuet and trying to figure Guideon out, Gwen will find herself in the middle of an intrigue that has taken centuries to fully develop. What is it exactly that the Count of Saint Germain did and wants to do with the closing of the circle?

First impressions

While the prologue was quite a surprise, the first chapters of the book were a bit predictable. I enjoyed the adding of Xemerus, the ghost gargoyle, he was a funny and endearing character. As the book advanced however, I started having tiny surprises, actions and actors I did not expect to be put in place and so once again in the series it started slow to pick up by the end.

Final thoughts


This is by no means the best YA series I had ever read, but it is pretty good nonetheless. First we have the fact that it works with time travelling without recurring to forced science (sometimes admitting that you don't know how something works is way better than inventing some ludicrous theory). Second, while there is the token YA relationship it hasn't been (so far) pressed into the "triangle". This second book in the trilogy had a bit more of pop culture references, that sometimes felt a bit forced; however I will say that it was nice that the Gwen didn't t only like songs from High School Musical, but could sing Memories from Cats.

The more I advance in the trilogy the more intrigued I am by the count itself. There is something very dark in all this, and I would really like to know what it is. Another thing that gives extra point is the fashion description, particularly Gwen's dresses.

There are things that annoyed me, particularly the fact that the whole "relationship" between Gwen and Gideon develops in less than a week. Sure, they are spending a lot of time together and sure, they are 16/19 but still. I am not very fond of the way Charlotte treats him, or the way she behaves in general, but I can really blame her seeing the way her mother acts.

While the end tries to finish in a cliff-hanger, is a very subtitle one, at least it was for me. I do want to know how it all develops and finalizes but I didn't get this urgent feeling to go and the Emerald Green immediately.

Marissa Calin continues to do a good job as a narrator.


Ex hoc momento pendet aeternites. (Eternity hangs from this moment) 


No comments:

Post a Comment