Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Witch Sisters and The Descent by Alma Katsu (The Taker #2.5 and #3)


First impression

I really liked the two first book of this trilogy so I was quite eager to finish it. I am happy I read the short story The Witch Sisters since it gave more context to what was happening in the third and final book. I was a bit disappointed with the story of the latter however; there is more about Adair's past and it was interesting to see Lanore "confront her demons" but...there was something missing; the darkness present in the previous books was there but felt diluted. It was still a nice roundup of the story but I was hoping for more.

Final thoughts


When I started reading The Descent I kept feeling like I had forgotten stuff from the second book. As it turns out, it just happens that I didn't and Katsu simply decided to turn things around quite a bit. I don't want to give spoilers, but since this happened in the first pages, here it is. Luke is dead...dead! It felt so out of the blue to just take him out of the picture, but oh well.

I like Adair, as twisted as he is and I enjoyed the back story development. I was even surprised at the end. But...this calmer version of Adair has its downfall and it just fell flat compared to the dark, sinister character presented in the other books.

Lanore stays more or less true to herself and as I mentioned it gave a nice closure to her side of the story when she had to confront her friends and foes. But once again, it feels like a fading, washed out version of her. In the past books she felt strong, determined...here it was almost like just going through the motions.

I rounded the rating to a 4 because the end itself was different. It just feels like is a book from a completely different series. Even the cover seems to go for a different story, compared to the gorgeous and mysterious previous ones. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment