Thursday, July 2, 2015

Challenges and goals update: How did I do in June?

June was a so/so book for reading. Not because of the book I read, I had quite a varied selection and in general enjoyed them all. However, we are already in July and I haven't finished all the books. Lab was a bit crazy, so I have some reading to catch up. But anyway, let's take a look

Diversifying 2015:


Of the 8 books I read only 2 had a POC author (Tales of Outer Suburbia and De cómo las muchachas García perdieron el acento by Julia Alvarez) and 2 had POC main characters (City of Stairs and by Robert Jackson Bennett and De cómo las muchachas García perdieron el acento) Only one of the books also had a predominant LGBTQ character (City of Stairs)

Read Harder:

For this challenge I read Almost Famous Women by Meghan Mayhew Bergman, which represents "A collection of short stories".

My goals:

Read at least 1 POC author per month: 2 POC authors this month with Tales of Outer Suburbia by and De cómo las muchachas García perdieron el acento.

Read at least 1 book in Spanish per month: Only 1 this month with De cómo las muchachas García perdieron el acento.

Read CanLit book per month: I am still working on the second book of the Maddaddam trilogy by the amazing Margaret Atwood: The Year of the Flood. I am loving the book, just not having enough time t go through it.

Read at least 1 book of nonfiction per month: I read 2 NF books this month: Let's pretend this never Happened by Jenny Lawson and Undeniable by Bill Nye. To date I have already read 12 nonfiction books this year, so I might get a bit more relaxed with that one for now and dive back into NF for NonFiction November :)

Finished series: Not finished, but working on Maddaddam.

Read more already owned books: Of the 8 books only 2 weren't mine. It's still a good average.

Read the picks of the month for each book club: For S&L we read City of Stairs; I really liked it.

I also joined the #EstellaProject3 challenge for the summer, which is why I read Tales of Outer Suburbia, it was a beautiful sequential art specimen. And I finished my Once Upon a Time Challenge with The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan, an amazing use of the Selkie mythology if you ask me.

Well that was it for June. How was your reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment